ED Visa

Stay in Thailand for up to 14 months!

At Rak Thai Language School, you can get a Non-immigrant Education Visa, which allows you to stay in Thailand while studying the Thai language. Contact us to find out more, we will help with any paperwork!

ED Visa and extensions

Basic studies

3 months

First, all students must attend the fundamental courses. The total duration of these courses is 3 months. After 3 months students will be taken to the Ministry of Education for a brief test to prove their skills.

Intermediate studies

5 months

If students pass the test and would like to continue their studies with an intermediate ED visa for 5 more months, RTL will file an extension for them.

Advanced studies

6 months

After the 5-month intermediate studies have been completed, students can apply for the advanced ED visa for 6 more months.

Questions and answers about the ED Visa

How much does the ED Visa cost?

The total cost for our ED Visa package including the processing fee for Ministry of Education and three courses is 24 500 baht. The tuition must be paid beforehand, as the Ministry of Education requires proof of payment before processing the application.

Please note that this price does not include the fees by the Immigration Bureau.

How much will the Immigration Bureu charge me?

The fee for an ED Visa is 2000 baht and it is valid for 3 months. Each extension of the ED Visa costs 1900 baht and it and extensions are granted for 2 months at a time by the Immigration Bureau for the duration of advanced and intermediate studies.

Can I apply for this type of Visa if I am already in Thailand?

Yes! To obtain the ED Visa, enter Thailand with a tourist visa and then talk to us. We can change your tourist visa or visa exemption to an ED Visa. Please note that other visa types cannot be changed to an ED Visa.

How long does it take to obtain the ED Visa?

Obtaining the ED Visa means you need to get approval from two authorities; The Ministry of Education and the Immigration Bureau. The process can be somewhat lengthy and you should have at least 35-45 days left on your current tourist visa before talking to us.

I entered Thailand with a visa exemption that is only valid for 30 days. Now what?

At the time of writing (March 2024) tourist visas and visa exemptions can be extended once by 30 days. If it seems that your tourist visa or exemption needs extending, you can submit an application at the Immigration Bureau.

How do I extend my visa exemption to apply for the ED Visa?

Visa exemption extensions must be submitted to the Immigration Bureau at IT Square Laksi. This office does not process any other applications. Tourist visa extensions must be submitted at The Government Complex. There are shops in both locations that offer photos, copying and printing services.

In both cases, three forms must be filled. These are the TM7 form, the STM.2 form and the overstay penalty form. You also need photocopies of your passport: the information page, any entry stamps to Thailand and the visa (if you have one). Sometimes the TM30 form is also requested (read below). Filling the forms before going to the Immigration Bureau saves time.

Tip: it can be useful to check the Google Reviews of the immigration offices beforehand. Travellers often write helpful and up-to-date information about changes in the application procedure.

I already speak some Thai, can I start from the intermediate level?

The Ministry of Education requires that all students start from the basic level.

If the application is rejected, can I get a refund?

Regrettably we are unable to offer refunds. However, the courses you have purchased do not need to be used right away. When you purchase 3 months of courses, you can use them at any time in the future.

I have previously studied another language in Thailand, can I get a new ED Visa for studying Thai?

Yes! Please bring us the transcript and a certificate.

Do I have to do the 90-day reports?

Yes, it is the policy of the Immigration Bureu that all foreigners residing in Thailand must report their address to the Immigration Bureau every 90 days. This also applies to those with the ED Visa. This is easier as it used to be, as in most cases reporting can be done online or by booking an appointment with the Immigration Bureau online to avoid queues.

What happens if I leave Thailand with the ED Visa?

If you leave Thailand, your ED Visa is immediately cancelled and you re-enter with a tourist visa. If you wish to re-enter Thailand and keep your ED Visa, it is very important that you purchase a re-entry permit before leaving the country. A single-use re-entry permit costs 1000 baht and can be purchased at border checkpoints and airports.

Are there any other reports or documents I should know about?

A form called TM30 is filled by the hotel, condo or house owner when a foreigner stays in their property. This can be done online. Hotels are familiar with the practice, but house and condo owners might not be be aware of the regulation if this is the first time they are renting property to a foreigner. Please ask them to fill the TM30 form. It is also a good practice to ask them to send you a screenshot of the filled TM30 form. While TM30 is technically not your responsibility, the Immigration Bureau occasionally asks to see some kind of proof of the filled form.